Thursday, October 25, 2012

Systems

So the world has been a bit crazy as of late! I have finished a few projects but a midst the madness I hadn't had time to update here and so here we go with post one of the update posts. The self portrait drawing is finished, the version I'm posting here is my mostly done version, I did tidy things up after and will edit this post once I get a chance to take a picture of my latest version. The drawing was done completely with charcoal pencils and vine charcoal.

 This next piece is actually just a mock up of a current project I am doing for my Drawing Observation and Invention course but I'm really REALLY excited about it! The assignment was to take a portrait of someone well known, famous really, and to draw/paint the portrait of that person but create your own system to accomplish that. The goal is to be able to think out of the box, use materials in unconventional ways and have fun with it! My individual that I chose to do a portrait of is Sally Ride, the first American Woman astronaut and a pioneer in multiple aspects of her life. Through my research of her I came across several things that were interesting. Much of her private life was kept very personal up until her death this past summer, but a lot of what you find when you search Sally Ride in any search engine are her programs for kids. She co-wrote 6 children's books on space with the aim to attract more children to science as well as creating Sally Ride Science which helps to supply schools with supplies for science classes and holds many programs for children. This aspect of her intrigued me, her love of children was one of the aspects of her life that wasn't hidden. So I proceeded with that thought and out came this mock up! I used the foot of a buzz light year action figure to create this portrait. The final will be MUCH larger in scale and probably atop of thousands of stickers or pages of her children's books I haven't decided yet...but here is what I have so far!


I will post up on Sunday once the final is finished with pictures of the final process and how it all turns out. As for any other projects! Still working on my current 3D project, that will be up in the next week including processing pictures and a detailed blog post on the horrors of plaster and how to fix the mess! I am still working on my water color in illustrator, which is coming along slowly but surely. People were right, you either love Illustrator or you love Photoshop! I Am finding I am quite the Illustrator fan, I just like the way it feels like I'm still creating my own work, painting on the computer but with more precision.

Anyways, tomorrow will be filled with more painting! More painting and another blog post or two! Goodnight blogger world.

No comments:

Post a Comment