Monday, September 10, 2012

The Wonders of Cardboard

Oh the things you learn every day. Subconsciously you know as an art student that there are a slew of other artists all around the world who are making incredible works of art as we sit in our classrooms wishing to be like them...in some way shape or form at least. We all know this, at least I do, however it never ceases to amaze me how incredible some of these artists are with the materials they use. And thus we come to the topic of this blog post.

Cardboard.

I was recently told to do a self sculpture (shoulders up) completely out of cardboard and I had no clue where to start. I think that this was kind of her goal, because immediately after telling us to do this she showed us a few examples of how we could go about this task. Thus we have:

Chris Gilmour


and, Scott Fife:


I can only hope that my "sculpture", which is being referred to as the cardboard catastrophe at the moment, turns out even a fraction as well as these examples! For starters, Chris Gilmour and Scott Fife are geniuses. Gilmour's level of detail in his machinery sculptures is astounding, he captures everything down to the upholstery in the cars, the break lines and nuts and bolts in his motorcycles, everything is precise and as realistically rendered as I have ever seen. And Fife's take on sculpture is so different from Gilmour's yet in its own way is just as realistic. He adds paint to some, but the main difference is the obvious ability to see the different pieces of cardboard and how they are pinned together. His portraiture looks a little eerie to me because of the paint I think, almost zombie-like. But that's half the charm now isn't it?

Well I wanted to post this as a little precursor to the sculpture I myself am doing! Soooo, I will have that post up sometime next week showing the progress and the maybe semi-finished. I'm sure I will be posting other artwork before then anyways, but there's something to look forward to! I just hope when I finish it actually looks like a human being period.


No comments:

Post a Comment