Sunday, November 25, 2012

Partner in Crime


I've discovered in the past year or so that becoming an art major means so much more than just dedicating all of your time into honing your artistic talents. More so than any other major I think that becoming an art major means entering into a family of people just as crazy and outside the box as you are! My friend Kaitlin Dorsey is a perfect example of this. I have known Kaitlin for about a year now and she has become my closest friend in the art world, she is as I stated in the title of this post my partner in crime! We both went through a very similar transition, me from a biology major and her from nursing, into the art world and have been close friends ever since.
Her art process reveals a lot about who she is as an individual. When discussing this with her she said "My art process usually starts with whatever my mood is or whatever event is going on in my life. Whether it's a breakup or school or a certain interest I might have at the time. Whatever I'm feeling, my art usually reflects it." To simplify it even more, when she is feeling happy she tends to draw lighter images but when she is feeling upset or angry her drawings could gravitate anywhere from skulls and hearts to dislocated eyeballs! Her bubbly and eclectic personality practically     jumps out at you from her art work regardless, it doesn't matter if the mood is sad or happy or angry. She effectively carries across that mood to the audience in all of her artwork while at the same time giving it a little twist that is uniquely her own. 
While painting, with oil paints in particular, seems to be the bane of her existence she has an intense love of toned paper, texture, and color pencil. These three are combined frequently in her work. While paint is not very easily controlled in her opinion, she handles her colored pencil drawings masterfully. Lately she has been experimenting with illustration board by scoring it, with objects such as a staple remover, and then drawing on it with colored pencils and other materials. Her innovation, both in materials and purely in the ideas that she comes up with, is most definitely inspiring and I can't wait to see what she does as a graphic design major. 
She has most certainly hit the ground running!

No comments:

Post a Comment